Clan Mjolnir HeadQuarters
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Clan Mjolnir HeadQuarters

Clan Mjolnir- Now organized into a full-fledged RuneScape clan

You are not connected. Please login or register

Runescape news ect. whatever

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Runescape news ect. whatever Empty Runescape news ect. whatever Mon May 26, 2008 2:34 am

Pelo

Pelo
IntelOps Commander
IntelOps Commander

I've seen on a couplea sites like this somepeople post like news for teh games dey play...so imma do dat...

To start of meh job ill be covering the following-

-Quick Chat

-Level up messages

-An image of the not too distant future

Quick Chat

Quick Chat:

This week brings the Quick Chat system - an optional method for chatting to players in RuneScape.

You may activate the Quick Chat system by clicking on your name in the chat window or the speech bubble next to it. This brings up the Quick Chat menu, which replaces your chat window. You may revert to the normal chat system at any time by pressing 'Esc' or the 'X' in the top-left corner.

The Quick Chat menu houses a list of requests, responses, greetings and other commonly-used sentences. You can choose from these by selecting them with your mouse or via shortcut keys. Once you have made your selection, your character will say your chosen chat option.

In some areas of RuneScape, you can press 'F10' to bring up 'context-sensitive' chat. This is a list of chat options that varies according to where you are or what you are training. You can then use this menu to talk about subjects related to the area or activity. We expect this to be particularly helpful in those situations where you need to give team directions: in minigames like Castle Wars and Pest Control, for example, you will be able to suggest tactics at the touch of a few buttons.

We have also made Quick Chat available to muted players. We believe that this is a more suitable action to take against those who have previously abused the chat system. Additionally, Quick Chat can be used to chat with players on German worlds, since the system will translate whichever chat option you choose.

Due to the nature of Quick Chat, we cannot entirely predict how players will use it or what players will want from it. So, we would encourage any feedback that you have, to help us tailor the system to your chatting needs. To offer feedback, please post on the official Quick Chat thread in the Suggestions Forum.

As we mentioned in this month's Behind the Scenes, Quick Chat is optional and an alternative to conventional chatting.
Changes to the 'F' keys:

Quick Chat brings some slight alterations to the handy shortcut keys:

* F4 now opens your inventory (which was previously 'Escape').
* F9 opens the quick responses of your Quick Chat menu.
* F10 opens the context-sensitive menus of your Quick Chat menu.
* F11 repeats the last phrase you said using the Quick Chat menu.

Review

Not much to review here.It looks O.K. but it gives me the feelin jagex is gonna take away regular chat but idk.Seems good for those people who don't use G.E. but really its not gonna help much.If ur sellin somethin outside of the Grand Exchange i reccomend
auto-typing btw.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Theappledude

2Runescape news ect. whatever Empty Re: Runescape news ect. whatever Mon May 26, 2008 2:44 am

Pelo

Pelo
IntelOps Commander
IntelOps Commander

Level-Up messages

Going up a skill level can access a shedload of new activities, items and quest requirements. You need to know exactly what you're capable of at these new levels, so we've taken a fresh look at your level up messages and skill guides.

Level-up messages now give you much more information about any abilities you've unlocked when raising your skill levels. They'll tell you when you increase a Combat level, for example, or when you've met the requirements to start a new quest. Each of these important milestones will be highlighted by improved sounds and graphics, which get more impressive as you achieve harder-to-reach goals!

Extra information has also been added to the Skill Advance Guides, giving you a truly comprehensive picture of what can be done at your current level. If you have gained the ability to do anything with your new skill level, you can almost guarantee that it will be here.

Finally, you won't miss your level-up message if you're in the midst of combat. Once you advance a level in a skill, that skill's icon will begin flashing in the statistics menu of your side interface. You can then view your level-up messages by clicking on the flashing icon (as long as you stay logged in). In all other cases, clicking on the skill icon will open the skill guide as normal.

Summary
Access to:

More information in your level-up messages
More information in your skill advance guides
Improved animations and sounds when you gain a skill level
View level-up messages when you are ready

In other news...

There are a few unusual signs for you to discover across RuneScape, revealing bizarre statistics about the activities of the day. Ever wanted to know the number of cakes stolen from East Ardougne stalls? Well, now you can! There are signposts for you to find in the following locations:

* East Ardougne
* Goblin Village
* Lumbridge
* Lumbridge cow fields
* Varrock Palace

On the subject of signposts, you'll find that a number have been added around Runescape. These are very useful if you're lost and need pointing in the right direction. These are scattered in the area bounded by Ardougne, Fremennik Pass, Morytania and down to the Shantay Pass.

Various NPCs in Miscellania and Etceteria are more helpful and will tell you your approval rating. This should save you time and a trip to Advisor Ghrim.

Juna, from the Tears of Guthix minigame, now has a quick option for telling her stories. Also, she'll inform you more accurately about when you can return to the cave and collect tears again. If you are able to access the Tears of Guthix within the next two days, Juna will tell you when to return, to the hour. If you can access them within 4 hours, Juna will tell you when to return, to the minute!

Review

Not a very eventful update but could be good for power levelers.It gives me more info that i already know btw.
really just another slow update from Jagex.

3Runescape news ect. whatever Empty Re: Runescape news ect. whatever Mon May 26, 2008 2:52 am

Pelo

Pelo
IntelOps Commander
IntelOps Commander

A not to distant Image of the future

In last week's Image of the Future newspost, we revealed our secret plan for RuneScape: a complete graphical rework. We were sneaky and held back a little information, however: namely, when you can expect these updates.

Drum-roll, please... You will have access to all of these updates within a couple of months! There really isn't much time to wait. If you can't wait for more details on the update, a new Development Diary is coming later this month.

We plan to keep improving RuneScape's graphics in the future, so we would encourage you to 'Send us your Specs', if you have not already.

Finally, we can reveal another image of the future...

Runescape news ect. whatever Image_of_the_future2

Review
Well all I can say is....WOOOOT!and i can say a little bit more from there..looks like a very good update but seems like it is a "Distant Update"considering they have to rework all of the game...that sounds like we wont get it anytime soon.
and another thing i wouldn't expect any new items because of this update the graphical team,artists and whoever it is that works on the Javascript codes will be very busy trying to make this so i wouldn't expect too many new updates over the summer.

Last edited by Pelo9872 on Thu May 29, 2008 3:54 am; edited 2 times in total

4Runescape news ect. whatever Empty Re: Runescape news ect. whatever Mon May 26, 2008 3:40 am

fordTOUGH778

Chief of Operations
Chief of Operations

PELO!STOP FREAKING DOUBLE POSTING!

just put it all in one post pelo!im sorry but im reporting you.

5Runescape news ect. whatever Empty Re: Runescape news ect. whatever Mon May 26, 2008 3:43 am

Icecube

Icecube
Intelligence analyst
Intelligence analyst

Yeah....... I don't think you can get all that in one post so let's try to let this one slide

6Runescape news ect. whatever Empty Re: Runescape news ect. whatever Mon May 26, 2008 3:46 am

fordTOUGH778

Chief of Operations
Chief of Operations

this isnt the first time hes done that,and he could have waited for people to respond first,and i already reported him.

once again,im really sorry pelo.

7Runescape news ect. whatever Empty Re: Runescape news ect. whatever Mon May 26, 2008 4:23 am

Pelo

Pelo
IntelOps Commander
IntelOps Commander

how is that double posting?
i thought double posting was posting the same thing more then once thats a dif thing completly from what happened here

8Runescape news ect. whatever Empty Re: Runescape news ect. whatever Mon May 26, 2008 4:24 am

Pelo

Pelo
IntelOps Commander
IntelOps Commander

i couldnt fit the whole thing into one post

9Runescape news ect. whatever Empty Re: Runescape news ect. whatever Mon May 26, 2008 4:24 am

Pelo

Pelo
IntelOps Commander
IntelOps Commander

eh?ever thought of that?

10Runescape news ect. whatever Empty Re: Runescape news ect. whatever Mon May 26, 2008 2:58 pm

Pelo

Pelo
IntelOps Commander
IntelOps Commander

oh well...i'm sorry if i like double posted but oh well idk.

11Runescape news ect. whatever Empty Re: Runescape news ect. whatever Mon May 26, 2008 2:59 pm

fordTOUGH778

Chief of Operations
Chief of Operations

just check before you post again next time,thats all

12Runescape news ect. whatever Empty Re: Runescape news ect. whatever Mon May 26, 2008 3:23 pm

Pelo

Pelo
IntelOps Commander
IntelOps Commander

can do rd can do

13Runescape news ect. whatever Empty Re: Runescape news ect. whatever Tue May 27, 2008 5:07 am

Zappingstar

Zappingstar
Commander-in-Chief
Commander-in-Chief

wow, thats like 300 posts that you just did in a row, i aint gonna fix that, any volunteers?
if i have to go in and fix that many posts, im just gonna delte all but one of em

and double postin gis defined as posting the same of a different post before someone else posts something. its considered post grubby

https://www.youtube.com/profile?user=zappingstar

14Runescape news ect. whatever Empty Re: Runescape news ect. whatever Thu May 29, 2008 3:52 am

Pelo

Pelo
IntelOps Commander
IntelOps Commander

Runescape news ect. whatever Comic08

A New Look RuneScape: Part 1 (of 2)

The saying goes that a picture speaks a thousand words, which is why we decided to first announce RuneScape's new detail mode with a couple of screenshots. If you have not seen them yet, check out the 'An Image of the Future' and the 'An Image of the Not-Too-Distant Future' newsposts. The pictures in this Development Diary (part one of two) will continue to do most of the talking, but if you'd like to know everything about how this graphical update pushes the boundaries of Java-based online games, read on...

A brief history of Tools

"We've considered a hardware-rendered version of RuneScape a number of times in the past, but it was only two years ago that we felt Java was mature enough."

Andrew
Lead Developer

The story of the this graphic update project began a year and a half ago, and who better to ask about it than Lead Developer, Andrew Gower: “We've considered a hardware-rendered version of RuneScape a number of times in the past, but it was only two years ago that we felt Java was mature enough.” We knew the things we wanted – textures, shadows, lighting, fullscreen – and it seemed the right time to start, as Andrew continues: “I tasked the Tools team to run a feasibility study to verify if it was possible to do what we wanted to do.”

Mod Nick, Head of Tools, says, “It wasn't long before it became apparent that we wanted to do this, needed to do this to move forward and, more importantly, could do this, so it became my team's main focus.” The Tools team, which develops and maintains all of Jagex's in-house development software, then went about this study. They had to be very thorough, so spent around nine months researching things like how possible all of the features we wanted were, how we would do them, how they'd fit together, etc. Mod Nick says, “The feasibility study had to cover everything we wanted to achieve; we didn't start any work on the game's engine until we could prove, 100%, that nothing would stop us.”

Graphics re: sources

It wasn't just the Tools team that was bolstered for this project: “I was brought on to the project when it went into full development, concepting all the areas, and worked with Tools on how this project was actually going to work,” says Graphics' Mod Farley. He continues with, “The actual development work wasn't too hard. The main problem was the sheer size of the task: how to manage over 32,000 assets, all those map squares, etc.” It was clear from the size of the project that the Graphics team would need new resources, so it could work on this graphical improvement while looking after all of its existing responsibilities.

Runescape news ect. whatever Terrorbird_thumb

Mod Farley says, “We brought in a team of almost 30 artists, giving opportunities to people new to the games industry, a lot of them straight out of university...they've really risen to the task.” Initially, we considered that a project of this scale might require more artists, but those we got proved to be so efficient and prolific, there was no need. “Some of them had limited experience, but they've all proven themselves. Some are now even running parts of the project on their own,” says Mod Farley. That Graphics project team, with the support of the Tools team, have put nine months of development into RuneScape's new look, for a total project length of eighteen months.

Texture massaging

The first and perhaps most obvious improvement is that everything in RuneScape has been given a texture. In the other detail modes, most surfaces are simply shaded, as textures require more memory, something that we have to be very strict with to make RuneScape run through Java in a browser. Mod Farley says, “For example, previously, a brown surface could have been depicting mud, wood or clay, its actual substance only being derivable from context, but with textures, it's easy to tell apart a muddy path, wood flooring or a clay object at a glance.”

Runescape news ect. whatever Textures_thumb

"I once accidentally ended up with this crazy, jelly-like texture while trying to make a floor texture."

Mod Lluis
Graphics

The way we implement textures in RuneScape is slightly different from the norm as, even though PC graphics cards can deal with textures, they still need to be downloaded by the RuneScape game client. As textures can have large file sizes, they would take too long to download. Mod Nick explains the process: “The Graphics team create textures in an editor, which then converts it into a series of instructions at a fraction of the file size. Instead of the game downloading a texture, it's recreated on the player's computer from that series of instructions, as and when it's needed. This is called procedural texturing.” Texturing is not the only thing we do procedurally, which is what has allowed us to keep the experience of playing RuneScape in the new detail mode the same as it currently is (e.g. a comparable loading time after the initial download and no extra steps required).

Designing textures in this way requires more than artistic ability, though. Mod Farley says, “An artist controls a whole load of graphs, charts and nodes to build a texture; the combined art and math involved takes a lot of ability and skill. It's more like sculpting than drawing.” Indeed, it can, on occasion, cause unexpected results, as Graphics' Mod Lluis explains, “I once accidentally ended up with this crazy, jelly-like texture while trying to make a floor texture.” He kept it as, although it wasn't ideal for a floor, it was perfect for the spirit jelly familiar.

Premium blend

Textures add a lot to the game, creating a more realistic and immersive environment, but one of the other enhancements related to texturing is better blending. You'll be able to see in all the screenshots that the areas where surfaces meet is less pronounced and more natural. Mod Farley says, “Previously, paths had very hard edges, which showed up how we built the world. Now, with softer path blending, things look more organic.”
Runescape news ect. whatever Blending_thumb

Before, everything was just flat colour, so we've had to introduce a greater variety of ground types to avoid over repetition. Blending has been implemented to allow both underlay and overlay textures too, for instance allowing a grass texture to be placed over a mud texture. The combined effect can be quite subtle and just looks natural. "If something just looks and feels right, if you don't notice these things after the initial 'Wow!', then that's real success," says Mod Nick.

Wrestling with shadows

Every object in the game now casts a shadow based on where we've positioned the sun for that location. Mod Nick says, “Different areas will be sunny or gloomy, and shadows are created dynamically.” Different areas will be set at varying times of the day, subtly changing between map squares, allowing us to create specific atmospheres in each area. For instance, certain parts of Morytania now live within a permanent shadowy twilight...appropriately spooky for those living under vampyric oppression.

Runescape news ect. whatever Shadows_thumb

Another effect that allows us to create atmosphere is the use of fog. The actual draw distance - how far away objects can be seen from - hasn't changed. Previously, objects coming into a player's view would just pop into existence. Mod Nick says, “The combination of blending and fogging allows us to introduce things on the horizon more naturally and smoothly.” The colour and thickness of fog can also be adjusted, so it gives Graphics another atmospheric tool to create, say, a murky swamp environment with a cloying, gangrenous fog (a real pea souper)...and who knows what monsters might be lurking within...

Runescape news ect. whatever Flag_shadows_thumb

We hope this Development Diary has answered some of your questions regarding this imminent ('within a couple of months') update. More questions will be answered in the lead up to release, both in the concluding part of this diary and in the usual ways (Behind the Scenes, newsposts, etc). Part two of this diary will focus on lighting, water effects, specular shading, fullscreen mode and more...

To be concluded: A New Look RuneScape: Part 2

Review:Well i found from the pictures and from the diary itself that it seems a pretty eventful update....but i would expect it within
atleast 2-3 months...I have taken a deep thought and came out with a very easy thing to figure out about this...another reason to complain...this detail method will be laggy on any computer what so ever...for those who have to play on low detail it will be practicly impossible to play at this detail setting...so if your one of those people forced into low detail...don't expect much of this
update...if you have a computer thats well built you still may have lag...but just on certain occasions...I'd recommend not being on youtube and runescape at the same time though if you have this setting...as one will lag.All in all most people should be able to enjoy this update and i was shocked by the most part it only took 30 artists but who cares..as long as this thing gets put out ill be happy.

15Runescape news ect. whatever Empty Re: Runescape news ect. whatever Thu May 29, 2008 6:31 am

fordTOUGH778

Chief of Operations
Chief of Operations

see?you can put up everything you need to in one message!

16Runescape news ect. whatever Empty Re: Runescape news ect. whatever Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:51 am

Pelo

Pelo
IntelOps Commander
IntelOps Commander

BREAKING NEWS

Date announced for graphics update!
"At the end of the month, there will be a break of a couple of weeks with no game updates. These two weeks are hugely important to us, as they allow us to prepare for the major graphical improvement in early July. It's one of the most complex releases we've ever attempted, so we need the extra time to get it ready and make sure the launch goes smoothly."
from june preview

must mean that in the third week of july the graphics update will be released...woot!!!!

oh..and heres the rest of the news...

Instead of beginning with a starter or main course, we will skip straight to desert this June! If that pun doesn't kill you, the beasties just might in Smoking Kills, our brand new desert quest. At the start, it won't seem too dangerous: a red-headed citizen of Pollnivneach has lost her sister down a well and wants you to retrieve her. Explore the depths, however, and you'll find yourself in situations more uncomfortable than sand between your toes.

Aside from a touch of trap-dodging and cat whispering, Smoking Kills demands the best of seasoned slayers, who will need to use their resources in innovative new ways to survive. Those who manage it will find their Slayer skill improved, with extra gear, a new Slayer Master and some pretty special rewards that will raise their Slayer game.

So, we've had the sun and the sand - now fer the sea, me hearties! Rabid Jack has been pretty quiet recently, seemingly taking a holiday from his nefarious ways. That would be the perfect opportunity to gather information on the old sea dog, but the pirates of the great seas won't say a word. Instead they will point you towards The Rock - the only prison in RuneScape where it's harder to get in than out...

This, the second of our quests this month, will have you punishing your liver with Braindeath's 'rum', finding imaginative uses for a seagull and getting up-close and personal with 50% Luke's wooden leg! It's all in a day's work for an intrepid would-be pirate who's used to Rocking Out once in a while.

At the end of the month, there will be a break of a couple of weeks with no game updates. These two weeks are hugely important to us, as they allow us to prepare for the major graphical improvement in early July. It's one of the most complex releases we've ever attempted, so we need the extra time to get it ready and make sure the launch goes smoothly.

You can read more about this update in our Image of the Future and Image of the Not-So-Distant-Future newsposts, along with our Development Diary - A New Look RuneScape. The second Development Diary on the subject will be released later this month.

REVIEWwell all in all i've been waiting for my favorite skill to be updated...and a new quest,gear,and slayer master is perfectly awsome with me...also expect the clan wars update and item lending to come out between june and july.
These updates aren't going to fix what runescape has lost...clan wars and bounty hunter wont replace wilderness...and item lending wont help merchanters try to make money...but two of those thing are going to be better...and hopefully one day they'll live up to the wilderness.

17Runescape news ect. whatever Empty Re: Runescape news ect. whatever Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:16 am

fordTOUGH778

Chief of Operations
Chief of Operations

i personally think the wilderness sucks.i mean,why go there when you either...
A: die and lose all your hard earned equipment
or B: brutally kill people and ruin their runescape experience by taking all the hard earned shit they probably took a long time to earn.

i think B would ensue some feelings of guilt into you...and no matter what level you are in the wild,every fucking monster you meet tries to kill you, AND its multi-way combat!who could POSSIBLY have fun in there?

*rant ends*

18Runescape news ect. whatever Empty Re: Runescape news ect. whatever Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:29 pm

Pelo

Pelo
IntelOps Commander
IntelOps Commander

lolz?but when you kill them you get their stuff and you can sell it =]
and the thrill of pking is awesome even if you die.And idk hardly anyone who gets guilt out of pking someone.You can also play some clan wars and my favorite that i love doing in frugoo is "territories" where you get 2 clans and invade and raid they're stuff and bases.Its meh fav thing to do in frugoo and i do it alot with my frugoo clan...oh and we're teh pwnage.

19Runescape news ect. whatever Empty Re: Runescape news ect. whatever Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:29 am

Growleg

Growleg
Intelligence analyst
Intelligence analyst

can i join ur clan.....im like lvl 43 with 66 range

20Runescape news ect. whatever Empty Re: Runescape news ect. whatever Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:47 am

Pelo

Pelo
IntelOps Commander
IntelOps Commander

eh... sure

21Runescape news ect. whatever Empty Re: Runescape news ect. whatever Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:07 pm

Zappingstar

Zappingstar
Commander-in-Chief
Commander-in-Chief

thaat was fast lol

https://www.youtube.com/profile?user=zappingstar

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum